Klamath Union (KU) DECA returned from the Oregon DECA state conference with the
title of Oregon DECA chapter of the Year for the fourth consecutive year.
30 KU DECA members attend the state competition, with 22 making the stage and
earning a medal or trophy. 2023 was a year to remember. Let by 19 seniors, KU DECA
earned five 1st place trophies, four 2nd place trophies, two 3rd place trophies, and 49
medals. 17 KU students will represent the basin in Orlando, Florida at the International
“It was a great way to end my last state DECA competition. I was proud of our team.
We practiced a lot and supported each other to not only create a unique bond but a
competitive team. I will always remember hearing Klamath Union called in so many
events.” Abby Cook, KU DECA President.
Cook placed first in Project Management Sale Project and looks forward to competing in Orlando with her teammate Cassidy Bogatay.
Senior Micah Gaede is also headed to Orlando. Gaede earned two trophies and a
chance to compete in Marketing Communications.
Senior Bell Riley ended the night with an exit speech to remember. Riley was a
2022-23 Oregon DECA state officer. Riley spoke about friendship and the relationships
DECA curates. Riley placed first in Hotel & Lodging and is also headed to Orlando.
Juniors Alyse Perez and Brook Nelson won Sports & Entertainment Team Decision.
Their role play focused on creating licensed products for a popular TV show. “We
created a great plan and the judge loved our ideas.”
Senior Grace Keyser completed a Student Store certification project and earned Gold
Level status. Keyser will join Connor Carlson and present on how they achieved Gold
“This is one of the best KU DECA teams in our history. They prepared and they found
ways to help each other succeed. KU DECA creates a strong family bond that lasts a
lifetime. I am excited to see them compete at the International DECA competition in
April. I believe KU DECA will do well.” Nat Ellis KU DECA Advisor.
At the competition you watch each member start out nervous, but as time goes on they
get more confident. By the last role-play, KU DECA members are presenting with
confidence and impressing judges.
DECA competition teaches high school students to solve problems quickly and interact
with others as they present their solutions. This not only builds confidence in each
student but also allows them to apply their skills learned in the classroom in real-life
KU DECA is in the process of raising $15,000 to help pay for the trip to Orlando Florida.
We will travel to Orlando from April 20-27. For more information contact KU DECA
advisor Nat Ellis at 541.331.6197 or EllisN@kfalls.k12.or.us
● Ben Cedarleaf -
○ Apparel & Accessories Marketing 7th Overall, 2nd Roleplay,
○ Entrepreneurship Startup Plan 7th Overall,
○ Food Marketing 8th Overall
● Lina Stanfield -
○ Apparel & Accessories Marketing 3rd overall,
○ Retail Merchandising, 2nd Overall, 3rd Role Play
● Connor Carlson -
○ Automotive Services Marketing - 6th overall, 2nd Role Play
● Brooke Nelson -
○ Business Services Marketing - 7th Overall
● Bell Riley -
○ Business Services Marketing - 6th Overall,
○ Hotel & Lodging 1st Overall, 1st test, 1st role play, 3rd Role Play,
○ Hospitality & Tourism Professional Selling, 7th Overall
● Ameesha Hazarika & Emma Tolstikhine -
○ Buying & Merchandising Team 1st Overall, 1st Role Play,
○ Travel & Tourism Team, 2nd Overall, 2nd Role Play
● Fen & Fang Li -
○ Entrepreneurship Franchise 4th Overall
● Micah Gaede -
○ Food Marketing, 3rd Overall, 1st Test,
○ Marketing Communications 1st Overall, 2nd Test, 2nd Role Play
● Abby Martin -
○ Hotel & Lodging 2nd Overall, 2nd Role Play
● Kat Brown -
○ Hotel & Lodging 8th Overall, 2nd Test,
○ Marketing Communications 6th Overall
● Jacob Martin -
○ Hotel & Lodging 1st Role Play
● Abby Martin & Jacob Martin
○ Hospitality Team Decision - 4th Overall, 3rd Role Play
● Addison Brown & Heather Ritter -
○ Hospitality Team Decision 7th Overall,
○ Travel & Tourism Team, 7th Overall
● Cassidy Bogatay & Abby Cook -
○ Project Management Sales Project, 1st overall
● Kate Rodriguez -
○ Quick Serve Restaurant Management - 2nd Overall, 1st Role Play, 2nd Role Play
● Grace Keyser -
○ Restaurant & Food Service Management 7th Overall, 3rd Test,
● Abby Cook -
○ Restaurant & Food Service Management 3rd Role Play
● Malachi Johnston -
○ Retail Merchandising, 2nd Role Play
● Alyse Perez -
○ Sports & Entertainment Marketing, 4th overall, 3rd Test
● Alyse Perez & Brooke Nelson -
○ Sports & Entertainment Team, 1st Overall, 1st Role Play, 2nd Exam
KU DECA Selling Dinner Meal Boxes
KU DECA is sending 17 members to the International DECA competition. We need your help to pay for the trip. KU DECA is selling dinner meal boxes. Each box is created to feed a family of four. New this year are meat options.
Meal boxes will include either tri-tip or Baby Back ribs. Both are smoked to perfection from Howard's Meat Center. Also, enjoy Potatoes Au Gratin from Pour Horse Cantina and everyone's favorite Cowboy Caviar and homemade brownies.
Contact KU DECA Advisor Nat Ellis at EllisN@kfalls.k12.or.us or 541.331.6197